Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Just a Hat Tip (Thing Three)

To brown rab girl fish who found this quote at Brownfemipower's from Audre Lord (which I have liberally truncated)
Every black woman in america has survived several lifetimes of hatred... Now we deny such hatred ever existed because we have learned to neutralize it through ourselves, and the catabolic process throws off waste products of fury even when we love... It is not that Black women shed each other’s psychic blood so easily, but that we have ourselves bled so often, the pain of bloodshed becomes almost commonplace.
Some days, the way I treat (and think of) myself and, yes, other sisters, I feel that all through me.

I'll see y'all later.
____________________
From Audre Lorde, "Eye to Eye," Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde. The Crossing Press, 1984: 156-7.

No comments:

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...