Friday, August 15, 2008

Hair Woes

I did something shocking last weekend.

I bought shampoo and conditioner.

Why is this significant? Because I've been taught to not wash my relaxed hair at home, so I never really have shampoo and conditioner.

One of my stylists used to have a sign up warning customers against being "kitchenticians." Another used to complain of clients who attempted something at home, then came crying to her to fix it.

Given my indoctrination into the "Water, Mine Enemy" school of thought, I never wanted to risk garnering the wrath of my stylists or dealing with relaxed hair that doesn't bounce back from home washings.

But I just moved here and I sweated a lot during said move. I haven't found a stylist, but I can't take another minute of my "sour" hair.

It occured to me, not for the first time, that it is a mad, mad world in which we live that women can be convinced that they lack the skills or knowledge to deal with something as simple and personal as our own hair.

No comments:

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...