Saturday, October 11, 2008

Failing as a Black Feminist Mama

The other day, my son held the door open for some women who were coming into a restaurant behind us. While they noted how nice and well-mannered he was, he did this little silly bow thing and said "Ladies first."

No, that's not why I think I've failed as a Feminist Mama.

See, when he said, "Ladies first," I began to hum this...



...then sing/rap it outright. He, being a music connoisseur in his own mind, askjavascript:void(0)
Publish Posted me, "Mama, what is that?"

"It's 'Ladies First' by Queen Latifah. From when she used to rap," I explained.

And he said,

"Mama, Queen Latifah used to rap?!"

He was shocked!

So was I.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Hate to break it to you, but that is more of a sign that you are getting old than you are failing as a feminist mama. In terms of pop culture most kids only remember what happened 6 mins ago.
When John Ritter dies my friend and I were commiserating his loss until her son looked at us and said who is John Ritter?

elle said...

Well, ms. renee,

Explain to me how someone who's been 27 for almost seven years is getting old?

;-p

Seriously, you're probably right.

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...