Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Thank You, Angry Black Woman

So, a few weeks ago when Pat Buchanan stated that African Americans should thank God for being Americans and that "no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans," I was just too "Oh-my-God-is-he-for-real?" to speak. And I didn't even know where to begin.

You know who did know where to start? The Angry Black Woman. Her post, "Thank You, White People" is fierce.

Of course, it didn't take long for the trolls to appear in the comments. You know the spiel: "My ancestors never owned slaves and I refuse to feel guilty for something that happened eons ago." As Delux pointed out, "who needs to be upset about what your ancestors did, when what your contemporaries are up to is quite enough to handle now?" The absolute blindness--to the privileging of whiteness, for one--is astounding.

And now, a white supremacist website has linked to ABW as she is receiving hate e-mail and threats to the safety of the space she has carved out.

Please go over and show support.

H/T BFP

1 comment:

Tom said...

Hi, Elle. I've been taking time off and missed it, so I'm glad I saw your post.

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...