Friday, November 14, 2008

Anatomy of a Lazy Friday Morning

I'm being totally shameful this morning. I woke up for the second time around 8:45 and have been in bed most of the time since.

I have developed a hunger headache, but I don't want to cook, don't want cereal because my refrigerator gets the milk too cold for my poor teeth, don't want a cold sandwich. Apparently, I just want to whine and have a headache.

I had an appointment for highlights at 11, but as my stylist warned me that it wold take two hours at least, I rescheduled. Don't feel like spending Friday like that, but now I'm going to have to wash my own hair.

I want to do more work today (spent last night examining microfilmed newspapers from 1960) and am trying to arrange it so I don't have to do much more than sit up to write and read. The laptop is on a tiny table right here beside the bed. And the books:



It occurs to me that it might seem sad that the other side of my bed is covered with books. I'm almost motivated to do something about it... almost. Any rectification will have to wait until after the nap I'm about to take.

1 comment:

amanda said...

elle,

do you have any thoughts on the top book? (&/or recommendations for others along the same vein?)

its been a subject of sensitivity to me since.. well... ever... by the time i was old enough to have conscious memories i was on welfare, food stamps, that free food program with a whole bunch of evaporated milk, peanut butter and cheese blocks. but having grown up white, i got to observe, rather than experience, the racism directed at the people i shared space with in the welfare offices... so i've been aware of its existence for, basically, ever, but necessarily unaware of the breadth and depth of it.

but, eager to learn what i can. and given my new job (cough, cough.) and the attitudes i already see around the office, i think it would be immensely useful. and, obvs, your opinion/analysis is one i know i can trust. (tho i'm heading to amazon to look it up now.)

many thanks chicky. i have loved every post of yours i've ever clicked over to read (or been privileged to read elsewhere) and yours is one of the blogs i'm adding to my reading (now that my life has calmed down)... beautiful minds...

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...