Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Who Said It Was Bliss?

My ignorance, that is. This old post accused people of judging others based on their experiences. After a recent look at the feminist corner of the blogosphere, I realize I did the same thing. Here in my insulated, comfortable, racially harmonious little world, I really did/do believe that feminists of all backgrounds, generally speaking, were working to build this vastly inclusive sisterhood where we'd bury our old hatchets and stand on common ground. I downplayed the significance of the exclusion and silencing of (or was that simply a refusal to hear?) women of color, intimating that it was a thing of the past. I derided the complaint that white feminists and feminists of color have widely different issues, concerns, and styles. We've moved past that, right?

And then I looked. At Nubian and brownfemipower who've had markedly different experiences (than mine as portrayed in the abovementioned post). At Twisty, who started a related conversation on her board. At lots of other blogs where women of color expressed discontent with all those things I thought were past. I was ignorant. I am ignorant.

But if you know anything about me, you know that I am vainly, smugly proud of my intellect. I'm going to educate myself. I'm listening. I'm learning.

And I'm thanking Nubian and numerous other bloggers for rattling my comfortable little cage.

No comments:

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...