Friday, March 03, 2006

Tag...

Borrowed this from What An African Woman Thinks. Has anyone else noticed how much I love the ellipsis?
Black and White or Colour; how do you prefer your movies?
Color. Nothing at all sentimental about me.

What is the one single subject that bores you to near-death? Academically? Science. In the world? Trying to understand science/technology etc. My eyes start to roll towards the back of my head when people try to explain things to me and I get confused reading technical stuff. So if it's not something I can play with and figure out with a minimum of help, it's not for me.

MP3s, CDs, Tapes or Records: what is your favorite medium for prerecorded music? CDs. I hear about MP3s, Ipods and Nano-whatevers through a thick veil. I'm frightened of new stuff (and yes, I realize none of the above are new--just new to me) until best friend explains it all. I still use the 3.5 disks to save all my dissertation work--best friend was horrified, but my computer gives me problems when I try to save to CD-RWs. Honestly!

You are handed one first class trip plane ticket to anywhere in the world and ten million dollars cash. All of this is yours provided that you leave and not tell anyone where you are going … Ever. This includes family, friends, everyone. Would you take the money and ticket and run?
For 10 million dollars? Hell no. Not even for 10 billion dollars would I leave my family and friends for life. I'm way, way too attached. Now for a few months or a year, if my kid was grown, then, maybe. But I'd obsess that someone was going to die or get ill or get married or whatever while I was gone, so I'd forfeit, I'm sure.

Seriously, what do you consider the world’s most pressing issue now? Poverty and related issues like disease, famine, war, and ignorance. A close second--organized religion.

How would you rectify the world’s most pressing issue? I have no idea. I have some ideas about poverty in the U.S. which is absolutely ridiculous-- I think poor American should be an oxymoron. But in other countries that are just poverty-stricken on a grand scale, I'm clueless. Which is no excuse for my inertia.

You are given the chance to go back and change one thing in your life; what would that be?
Just One? I would have gone to see my grandmothers immediately when they called for me. I was too "busy" with my life, thought I had time. They both died shortly afterwards. Part of me will never make peace with the fact that I did that twice.
And I have to say, if it weren't for my kid, I would change the fact that his father and I threw our friendship away to pursue something else that worked out soooo horribly. :-(

You are given the chance to go back and change one event in world history, what would that be?
Imperialism. Which means there's be no Elle and no U.S., but imperialism/colonialism/domination and subjugation have wreaked havoc on the world's people. Of course, that's not one event. The assassination of Lincoln. Then the confederates may not have gotten off so easily and reclaimed power between 1877 and 1900. Southern blacks may have actually gotten a chance to participate fully in society.

A night at the opera, or a night at the Grand Ole’ Opry – Which do you choose?
Grand Ol' Opry. Since I'm a southerner, there's a chance I might at least understand the words there!

What is the one great unsolved crime of all time you’d like to solve?
I'd like to know who killed Tupac and Biggie. I don't necessarily believe the police don't know, but I'd like for everyone to know. Especially their moms.

One famous author can come to dinner with you. Who would that be, and what would you serve for the meal?
Jacqueline Jones. She set a pretty high standard for what I eventually hope to do (don't worry, ABD friends, I no longer think the dissertation is going to be groundbreaking). I don't know what I'd serve--probably have something catered. I'm old school in the sense that I take my cooking seriously and if you don't clean your plate, I'm slightly offended (ask my sister). So rather that get my feelings hurt, I'd call some nice restaurant up--once I knew what she liked.

You discover that John Lennon was right, that there is no hell below us, and above us there is only sky — what’s the first thing you might do to celebrate this fact?
OK, in the spirit of the question, I'll set my fire-and-brimstone indoctrination aside and think. Hmm. Invite Morris Chestnut, Henry Simmons, Boris Kodjoe, LL, and TI over on successive nights. I'd take the weekend off :-) Ooh, I'd also do something publicly humiliating to this person who has been bugging/harrassing/taunting me for almost a year now.

Ok, I tag Quinn, Rageyone, Mon, and Ginviren. Nubian, my other blogfriend, is out of town for happy reasons!

1 comment:

RageyOne said...

Mmmmm...LL...now that would be a fun night! ;>)

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...