Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What My Mind Is Turning Over

The Newsweek article that Kim directed me to earlier this week about black women supporting R. Kelly. Though there were some things I agreed with, this, in particular, bothered me:
Sex crimes may be viewed as less important in a community defined by race and the issues surrounding it. Sexism isn't discussed much in the black community...
Then, tonight, Mrs. O suggested I break my no BET rule and watch Hip Hop vs. America II. I only caught the second half, and, on one hand, I was perturbed (isn't that an ugly word :-P) by MC Lyte's determination to portray black women's life as a constant battle with "THE CHOICE" a.k.a. "Which is more important, race or gender?" I've noted before that I believe that thinking creates a false dichotomy.

But, OTOH, I think some important points were made (and can I just say I really liked Dr. Melissa Harris-Lacewell and how San Francisco D.A. Kamala Harris explained her support for Senator Obama?).

So I'm going to write a post about these two things--I rushed to the computer to do so tonight, but I think I'll let it marinate.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm still marinating on it, which is why I didn't comment when I sent the Newsweek article to you. I see many sides to this coin. I missed the BET deal (darn kids and their basketball practices/food needs), but I'm interested in hearing your take - as always!

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...