Monday, June 02, 2008

Heavy Heart

My brother's best friend died last week (http://www.fwbusinesspress.com/display.php?id=7661). He was 34 years old, was driving home at 3:50 in the morning a few weeks ago and slammed his car into a building. How that happened has been largely unspoken.

I didn't know him very well. My brother and I haved lived in different cities since we ventured off to college. What I do remember of Greg was an inviting, warm, friendly face. He's clearly done a lot for his community in Ft. Worth, and for students at TCU. He touched so many people's lives and he was someone that students at TCU as well as his friends, like my brother, depended on. It is so sad to see his life cut short.

It makes me think of my own mortality and whether I will have left such an indelible mark on the world around me. It's a scary thought to think of leaving my family behind. Scarier even more to think of how easily such a thing could happen.

Please say a quick prayer for Greg's family and friends and for my brother. And let your loved ones know you love them. Our time is short.

5 comments:

elle said...

Let your brother know that I am sorry for his loss.

Anonymous said...

Greg was a very kind man, and students were absolutely affected by him, by knowing him. I didn't know him well, but when we had interactions, he was always professional, kind, funny, and smart. I will miss him, too.

Anonymous said...

i am very sorry for you all.

Kevin Andre Elliott said...

You and your brother are in my thoughts. Be well.

Julie said...

I am so sorry to hear this! Keeping you and everyone involved in my thoughts.

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...