Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Long Day

Today, I began teaching. Thoroughly cognizant of the fact that this is my first post-PhD class, I was uncharacteristically nervous.

Today is the third day of my first ever more-than-one-day toothache. Whoever said toothaches were worst than labor and delivery was not far off the mark.

Today, I went with Best Friend Louisiana to pick out the dress her mother will wear when she is laid to rest next Wednesday. I still do not know what to say. I still have to stop myself from asking, "How are you doing?" Isn't that a stupid question to ask?

Today, the only thing that is making me feel better is time spent with her:

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Honey, you're doing the right thing just by being there for your friend. I hope your teaching gets easier - You're the same great professor as before!

Once you get into a groove, it'll all be okay :-)

Love,
Kate

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Knowing what to say in situations like this is always hard. But you being there for her is probably the most important thing right now. Losing a mother is hard and I don't think there are words to properly console...

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry to hear about BFL's mother. just being there is what counts, and you are.

RageyOne said...

Just being there for your friend is the best thing you can do.

Cynthia said...

Your daughter is beautiful. Hopefully, I will be glad when this happens to me: my first post-PhD class

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...