Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sometimes I Remember...

Why I absolutely love children...

Last night, my son and my nephew, both of whom were supposed to be asleep by 8:30, watched parts of "When the Levees Broke" with me. My nephew, 2 days shy of six-years old, was particularly attentive. He vaguely remembered it, but he kept asking me exactly what happened, how deep was the water, etc.

This morning, out of the blue, as he's showing me the new shorts he's going to wear, he says, "They could come here." "Who?" I ask, lotioning his face. "The New Orleans people. They need to find somewhere to live. I hope they come here."

I should point out it's a year later, right? But considering how the Lower 9th Ward still looks, I don't. Instead, I tell him, "That's a good idea. Maybe they will."

I am so proud of his empathy, though, I had to tell someone...

2 comments:

Courtney said...

A touching story. Hugs to the kids. And many of them did move there. We taught some of them.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Kids are amazing and I'm never surprised when they end up teaching us as much as we teach them. Or they help us remember the best parts of ourselves. Thanks for sharing this!

Gwyneth

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...