Saturday, June 24, 2006

P.S.

I haven't been too busy to notice that the great state of Louisiana has passed (and the governor has signed) it's own abortion law, set to go into effect the moment Roe v. Wade is overturned. From what I caught in passing, Abortion would be illegal except when there's some risk to the life of the mother and the quality of life of the fetus (I think. Don't have time to look it up right now). Yep, good ol' Louisiana, the state that can't afford... well, just about everything from education to health insurance when it comes to it's children, has jumped on the bandwagon, led by a Democrat governor and a legislature for whom the appropriate adjective escapes me right now.

The local news showed a celebration gathering of supporters of the law, complete with tear-jerking images of waaaay-pregnant women (I'm assuming that was supposed to be a tear-jerker; I don't remember anything sentimental or sweet about my last trimester) and tiny babies. Oh, and a man carrying a sign that read, "Equal Rights for Unborn Women." I'm submitting that particular gem of a slogan without comment.

No comments:

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...