Saturday, October 07, 2006

Yes, No, or Maybe

Lord, Have Mercy! I gotta share this before I get my nose back to the grindstone.

Yesterday, my nephew got his first "Yes, No, or Maybe," note from a girl. Without the maybe. This girl doesn't have time for waivering!

He is in the FIRST grade! The note (I deleted nephew's name):

My response (verbatim): "This little girl in first grade, too? Her fast ass! I bet her parents don't know. And you done circled "yes"? Your mannish butt. Y'all too grown!"

This little girl is sharp, y'all, which is why I hope she puts her energy into something other than gaining a boyfriend! How do I know that? Let's look at the note:

1. Aside from some punctuation and capitalization issues, this is pretty well-written for a child in the 2nd month of first grade. Trust me.

2. On her illustration, the little girl has eyelashes. I know kids pick up on that on cartoons and dolls and such (eyelashes = girl) but to pick up on it then express it yourself? I don't see that too often with 6-year-olds.

3. The little girl also has a thought bubble! Apparently those thoughts are focused on love, but still.

I really do wonder what her parents would think.

4 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

That's too cute! I think I actually wrote my first I- like-you-do-you-like-me note in the first grade. I can't remember that far back... But I think I did. LOL! Ahhh, the youth...

elle said...

Gwyneth,

He's all proud, too. My sister is away this weekend and he asked me, "You gon' tell my mama about it? Read it to her."

Professor Zero said...

I remember the first day of first grade, surveying the class, realizing that top on my to-do list needed to be, getting a boyfriend in this class.

It had not been an issue in kindergarten, but in first grade, it was. I don't know how I knew.

Courtney said...

See, I was so late to this! In third grade, I got asked to "go with" a guy, and I responded, "Go where?"

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...