Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Bunch of Stuff

First of all, thanks to everyone who expressed their sympathy and/or shared stories in the post below. Made me feel not so alone.

Rebecca, I laughed over your lunch invitation because for some reason it made me think of this scene in one of Tyler Perry's plays:
Cora, who's plus-sized, tells Brown that a nice man had invited her to lunch.
Brown, who's suspicious of the man's interest says, "Cora, that's how them mens get you."
Cora: "How?"
Brown: "They know you like lunch!"
I know, I know, reinforces stereotypes, but yeah, you can't miss me with a lunch offer. :-p

Is there any reason for there to be bumper-to-bumper traffic in the middle of the day? Good grief.

Initial (b/c I know there will be more to come) revisions are virtually done--just need to tighten one section. And, b/c I'd been working on the next chapter while stalling on this one, I promised advisor a very rough draft by the end of next week. Even if I chicken out and don't finish until the 16th, I'll be back on track.

Happy Hallowe'en and Happy Birthday to Cousin T! I wasn't going to take the kids trick-or-treating, because my neighborhood's not big on it and I was wary of taking them to the neighborhood where their school is. Why? Because it is predominantly white and I was afraid... well you can imagine what I was afraid of. And then I said to myself, "Self," I said, "Could you, for once in your life, get past lessons previously learned and your own biases and give people the benefit of the doubt? Maybe, just maybe they're not going to greet you with evil looks and slamming doors (See how ridiculous that is when I say it out loud?). It's just Hallowe'en!" And you know what?

They had a blast! They racked up. One elderly lady asked me if she could hug them because they were the only trick-or-treaters she'd had.


My favorite Jack o'Lantern this year:


**picture removed**


And the best web-shooter ever:

**picture removed**

Sorry, no pics of my crew. They went as Batman and Superman. Or, as one guy imagined, Batman and Robin-disguised-as-Superman.

3 comments:

Abadiebitch said...

Sounds like it was fun.

Anonymous said...

the pumpkin baby is super cute!!

i hope things straighten themselves out soon re: fin aid...

Rebecca said...

lunch, lunch, LUNCH!

You name the time and place. :)

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...