Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Validating My Math Ability... or Not

Here's a little quiz that I have to accompany with a poignant, meaningful story. But since I didn't have time to write one, I'll include another modest tale of my all-around brilliance.

I am a writer... a person who loves the ways words feel and sound and look and link. In writing the dissertation, I'll agonize for hours over a sentence or a word choice--which is a big part of why I'm usely left with so much to do in so little time. My favorite subjects have always been English and literature and history. Funny thing is, on standardized tests (back when I had to take 'em), I tended to perform just as well in math. This, despite the fact that my performance in math classes resulted in many dreaded "Bs." Eventually, I grudgingly admitted that I sorta liked math. I could see how it could be interesting. And now, facing the perpetual poverty of a history professor, I wish someone would have encouraged me to do more than speed through my math homework so I could read or begin a dozen unfinished romance novels.

You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!


I was glad to know I hadn't forgotten everything. But science? Lord, science!
And I was kidding earlier--I'll take words over numbers any day.

No comments:

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...