Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It All Makes Sense...

H/T matttbastard **UPDATE--Some bloggers are putting forth the argument that the woman is screaming "he's a redistributor." But as to the claim that believing the word screamed was a slur "It makes us look like drooling, illiterate morons," I think that diarist is off base--there are a number of reasons it's not hard to believe that was yelled out at a Republican/Palin Rally.**

Of course Sarah Palin won't take time to tell a person who screams "He's a n*gger," that her language is unacceptable and has no place in political discourse. Not only is her party a safe haven for bigots, but the above mentioned slur dovetailed nicely with Palin's spiel about ::some:: people believing government has to take care of us and ::some:: people regarding government as "the other half" of their family.*

You know, in case anyone didn't recognize where Palin was heading with her "erosion of work ethic and productivity" line.

Talk about a segueway.


____________________________________________________
*In my opinion, that "other half" comment, especially, was a dig at single mothers.

5 comments:

Giftie Etcetera said...

"Of course Sarah Palin won't take time to tell a person who screams "He's a n*gger," that her language is unacceptable and has no place in political discourse." -elle

I'm ashamed to admit that I carefully chose, in the past, when to say this language is unacceptable. When I was a school teacher, it was easy to say it was unacceptable (to children of any race). But last year I had a student worker, and I failed to tell her something when she used racist language at the office. I was at the end of my rope with her anyway, and about to fire her, and that was the last straw. Two weeks later, I gave her notice.

But I waited two weeks and did not include "racist language" as one of the reasons for the firing, even though the reality was that her attitude regarding race was a big factor.

But I'm not running for Vice President. And I won't repeat my mistake, even if I feel squirmish and uncomfortable with speaking up when people say racist things. I understand that it's an awkward moment. But, hell, if you are going to be Vice President (OMG, OMG, PLEASE DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN), you'd better get over it and say the right thing.

And why is saying the right thing hard for me? I'm outspoken. I abhor racism. I'm an attorney so confrontation is my job. Yet, speaking out against racism takes active effort for me.

Still, it's an effort she should have made.

Anonymous said...

I was pretty disgusted by this, but when I saw that others thought it was redistributor being shouted I googled it and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m051zjCUeL8&eurl=http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/28/05234/591/434/644338

After listening to it being slowed down so much, I have to say it does sound like that was the word being spoken, not the racist epithet.

elle said...

Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

Andrew Sullivan is the one who backtracked on the claim, but I still hear the n-word when I listen to it, even with headphones.

Kismet Nuñez said...

I hear the N-word.


I am glad that it wasn't the actual word. But I think that says a lot about the Republican party, the people it attracts to rallies, its stance on race, representation and equal access to everything...hell.

Elle I totally agree with you. I don't think we were paranoid to hear that. I think that fit all the context clues.

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...