Sunday, November 05, 2006

Children of the World, Unite!

The children 'round these parts are on strike. They have decried the necessity of school and poutily proclaimed that they wish they were "ZERO YEARS OLD SO I DON'T HAFTA GO TO SCHOOL!"

Of course, this proclamation is not rooted in any real injustice, but in their desire to stay up late tonight, the last day of the weekend, the last time they can watch the Disney Channel til Friday.

So, they have blown up an air mattress in the living room. They are currently watching The Emperor's New School. They just bid me good night (sister is already knocked out, having laughed herself to sleep thinking about how they're going to be wailing in the morning). I am saying nothing.

But in the interests of being good capitalist management, thoroughly unsympathetic to their plight and intent on punishing them for daring to protest, I'm going to wake them up ten minutes earlier than usual in the morning. And I'm going to do it by singing the "Wake Up, Mr. Sleepyhead" song. And I'm going to be chipper and talk loud and say "Hurry, hurry, hurry!!"

I figure there's no time like the present to teach them the nature of class hierarchy and conflict.

6 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

That's so cute! They're going on strike! That's wonderful. When I was a kid, we just threatened to run away from home and packed up our favorite things along with some sandwiches and fruit. Kids these days are organized and trying to negotiate with management. I love it!

Anonymous said...

i love it, i love it.

especially you trying to be the capitalist management!

RageyOne said...

LOL! So how did it go this morning? :>)

Anonymous said...

Did they call M.J.? Because he put on a very similar protest last night. He refused to sleep in his bed (slept on his floor) and refused to keep his TV turned off. He doesn't have cable so it was just a blue screen (I put his movies out of his reach), but dammit he was going to have that thing on!

elle said...

Ragey, You know how they say God looks out for children and fools? Well, he was definitely on the kids' side this morning. I woke up with a headache and unable to breathe, so all my plans for cheerful torture went out the window.

bf tx, something in the air undoubtedly. or, they have a mental connection!

RageyOne said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon. Save that torture for another time. I know you have in you!

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...