Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mychal Bell's Conviction Overturned

Kevin and my best friend Kim (who sent me an e-mail yesterday afternoon that I just now got back online to check) just made my day:
NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 14 (AP) — A state appeals court reversed on Friday the only remaining conviction against one of six black teenagers accused in the beating of a white schoolmate in a racially tense Louisiana town.

The teenager, Mychal Bell, 17, should not have been tried as an adult, the Third Circuit Court of Appeal said in overturning his conviction for aggravated battery. He had faced up to 15 years in prison.
But, as Kevin notes,
It ain’t over yet. The DA, Reed Walters, has made it clear that he plans on appealing to the Louisiana Supreme Court; and there are still 5 other boys in peril, 4 of which will be tried as adults.
I'm not sure if the rally in Jena will still occur September 20. But, Lord this is a blessing. I know lots of hard work and effort went into it, combined with lots of prayer, faith, and belief.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

well, it's far from over (as you note), but this calls for a little sigh of relief.

The History Enthusiast said...

For those of you on Facebook, there is a group called "Free the Jena Six." It has a petition going...I'm not sure if the group is doing anything else, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...