Friday, September 21, 2007

Frustration...

Court rules 'Jena 6' defendant to stay behind bars:
Mychal Bell, the sole defendant who remains behind bars from the group of teens known as the "Jena 6," will not be released Friday, a court decided.

Bell, 17, has been in jail since his arrest more than nine months ago.

It was not immediately clear what happened in court Friday, where Bell's attorneys had planned to push for his release.
I'll bet I have an idea of what happened.

You can't tell me someone somewhere (on that court, perhaps?) isn't thinking, quite smugly, "We showed them."*
_________________
*And yes I'm cynical and pissed off and not apologetic about it.

4 comments:

daisy said...

Well I read your post from July, too, and I agree.

It's very frustrating. I keep reading all these identical comments from white people that get interviewed in Jena. "Jena's not a racist town. We all get along very well here. Just come to a football game, or come hang out here. You'll see. Why are y'all just coming around pointing fingers and causing problems?"

Excuse me???

Then every person of color who is interviewed indeed confirms that there is racial tension and discrimination happening on a continual basis.

I'm so frustrated with the lack of coverage of this issue, although finally it's hitting the news here because of the protest yesterday. I first heard about it through a blog I was reading, and that wasn't until LAST MONTH. Keep blogging. Keep shining the light on the darkness that is still alive and well in our not-so-United States.

Professing Mama said...

Elle, I just want to say that you have been on a roll lately with your writing. This is some very powerful stuff you've been blogging. Keep at it, girl.

I also want to thank you for all the Jena Six posts. I've known about this for months, thanks to you. I've been able to talk about it this week with people who just learned about the Jena Six and to educate them beyond the soundbites. I don't think I would have been able to do that if not for your posts, because these kids just weren't getting much coverage in the so-called mainstream media for some time. So thanks for all you've written,and I'm sorry that some ignorant fools have left comments.

elle said...

daisyaday, welcome! and thank you.

prof mama, thank you--and i totally ripped your babystrology tickers :-p

Kevin Andre Elliott said...

"You can't tell me someone somewhere (on that court, perhaps?) isn't thinking, quite smugly, 'We showed them.' "

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but no, I can't. I'm convinced that's what some people are thinking right now.

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...