Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Child, Son of a Sistorian

Yesterday, on our way to basketball practice, my son and I were treated to the delightful sound of Rihanna... umm... "singing" S & M.

"I hate this stupid ass song," I said.

"Mama," he countered, in that tone that lets me know a dig is probably about to be made about my age or total lack of coolness, "this is a good song!"

"Boy, please."

"It is! The only part that's bad is when she says 'chains and whips excite me.'"

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye, half afraid to ask why he thought that particular line was bad. I just knew he was going to reveal some knowledge about bondage or sex that I wasn't ready for him to have, much less discuss with his fragile-flower mama. But, of course I asked, "Why that line?"

"Mama! Chains and whips excite me? How she gone say that? She needs to think about her history. I bet they didn't excite her ancestors!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That attitude...kinda has unfortunate implications for blacks who are into BDSM though.

elle said...

Thanks, Mala!

elle said...

You're centering black people who are into BDSM; he's centering historical figures/experiences about whom/which he has learned.

Anonymous said...

So its a zero sum game then? Black people's current consensual sexualities are to be policed based on historical non-consensual and deeply problematic injustices?

Anonymous said...

Even though they are not the same thing?

elle said...

I don't think I've said any of that. I don't think my 12-year-old is policing anyone. His frame of reference when it comes to people of African descent wrt to "chains and whips" is one that is historical reflecting his growing up with a mother who is a historian of African American experiences, hence the title of the post. As he gets older and becomes more aware, I'm sure the lens through which he views things will change. The whole point of the post was that I'm glad that he seems to be picking up some of the historical knowledge I share with him.

Tigera Consciente said...

Hilarious! I LOVE it!

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...