Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I Love My Mom

She says the darnedest things.

Tonight at the store, she was replenishing the kids' school supplies. One of my nieces needed some pencils. I told her to get the pack of 24 wood pencils for $1. She turned up her nose and said, "I don't write with those pencils, Auntie." She prefers mechanical.

"Mmph," my mom said. "You must not plan to write at all, expecting MawMaw to spend three dollars on four or five pencils."

I heard that trademark "mmph" a little while ago as I sat scrambling to re-edit my application letter. "What is it, Mama?" I asked.

"Girl, I'm just looking at your daddy's dentures."

"What about them?"

"A thousand dollars worth of teeth and he won't even wear 'em. Mmph. I think they were more than a thousand dollars. It's a shame."

"That he won't wear them?"

"No, that he don't realize they'll make him look better."

Then she told me how she was about to go to bed and pray a special prayer of forgiveness. Some woman at her job (in a poultry processing plant) has been bugging her. I asked why she had to pray for forgiveness.

"Because today," she said, "I thought about putting that girl on the tray with them drumsticks."

2 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I love it!

"You must not plan to write at all..."

I think I got flashbacks of growing up with my mother with that one. LOL. And the "Mmph..." Priceless. That must be a black mother thing. I have one of the side characters in my next Kimani novel give a "mmph" before she makes her "commentary."

Thanks for sharing.

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

i love it! your mom sounds awesome!

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...