Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Crash, pt. 2

Well, Best Buy couldn't back the hard drive up. So, I'm on the verge of saying f*** it and just sending it off for service. However, I talked to one of the manufacturer's technicians and she says I should try somewhere else. "After all," she said (and I swear I'm not lying), "there has to be a way. The FBI could get it no matter what."

I mentally ran through my list of influential contacts, realized none was an FBI agent to my knowledge, and returned to my initial dilemma: keep trying to back it up or just get it fixed before my head explodes?

Opinions?

6 comments:

Abadiebitch said...

Look for an "independent" computer techician who fancies himself/herself as a "Fix it Doctor."

We used one last April that recovered most of everything. It seems to cost per file or folder or something like that.

elle said...

the technician suggested that, but i swear, cm, i don't know if i can hold out!!!

RageyOne said...

That's a hard one. Personally, I would want the hard drive backed up before sending it off. Then again, if Best Buy couldn't do it I can't say that I would waste more time in trying to find someone else.

I gues I am ultimately of the mindset to send the computer off to get it back as soon as possible. Then I would be very dilligent about back-up at least 3 times per week.

Anonymous said...

i would say to try again too. i know you will want that stuff on there sooner or later. do you know any guys good at computer tech stuff to take out your hard drive, put it in another machine, and then back up for you? it's doable if the hard drive isn't totally fried and easy for someone who knows how...

Abadiebitch said...

You can always practice my mother approach. "Buy a new one." Ah, her answer to everything.

Anonymous said...

elle, I have no useful suggestions, except to put up a donation button for a new computer. you're a grad student! it's a necessity!

whatever you do, come back soon... I miss you.

Revelations and ruminations from one southern sistorian...